I recently had interaction with youtuber's on a Metal song and video called "Now You Have Something To Die For" by Lamb of God. Don't let the name fool you, this is not a Christian band. I made a comment on the song, Metal in general, and in response to other posts on the song. I commented, basically, that Metal is good and can appreciated by those who have a 'good ear.' I also stated that pop music aims at the majority and is therefore mediocre. It seems that if someone, artist, producer, or label wants to reach a broad audience, then it often is, or has to be watered down music. This doesn't mean that the song or style of music is not pleasing the ear, catchy, etc. The purpose for stating all of this is that some didin't understand why I would say that pop music is mediocre, and does not require a good ear. The opposing argument was that all musical genres were good, and that one genre could not be said to be better than another.
@sperri2 What are you talking about? What is " a good ear". How is pop music "mediocre" And you would be surprised at how little most music snobs know about music. It is silly to say any style of music is "better" then each other. thats like saying purple is just a better color then orange.
Sorry that I couldn't correct the block quote; but I think you get he point. The quote was cut and pasted from youtube. A "good ear", in my opinion is not one of a musical snob; but one that hears the melody, the harmony, and the progression of the song/piece. With this discenment, the critic can assess the musical piece and determine if it is good or bad. about Well, a person might ask, how can a person go about making such a judgment. Let's see, first what is the dictionary version of music? Sorry, I will have to get to this later; perhaps tomorrow or the next day. Feel free to leave questions or comments on what has been delivered as of now.
No comments:
Post a Comment